Friday, February 25, 2005

My Oscar picks.



Why?
Because of all the millions of award shows that have invaded our lives, the Academy Awards seem the most interesting and valid.
Why?
Because I see over 60-70 movies in the theatre each year.
Why?
Because everyone else in "Blog Land" will be posting their picks, so why can't I? (and I'll beat the crowd by posting two days in advance).

I won't bore you with a long, lengthy list of all the categories (but if The Incredibles doesn't win best animated film, there is no justice in the cosmos!)
Anyway, here we go.

Best Supporting Actor
Who I'm rooting for: Morgan Freeman, "Million Dollar Baby"
Who Should Win: Thomas Haden Church, "Sideways"
Who Will Win: Morgan Freeman, "Million Dollar Baby".

Church was hilarious in "Sideways" and was the linchpin of the film, but with another strong Freeman performance I believe the Academy will finally honor him this year.

------------------------------------------

Best Supporting Actress
Who I'm rooting for: Virginia Madsen, "Sideways"
Who Should Win: Cate Blanchett, "The Aviator"
Who Will Win: Cate Blanchett, "The Aviator"

It's a feel good, come back story for Virginia, but Cate pulled of the difficult task of becoming film legend Katherine Hepburn without turning it into a caricature.

------------------------------------------

Best Actress
Who I'm rooting for: Hillary Swank, "Million Dollar Baby"
Who Should Win: Hillary Swank, "Million Dollar Baby"
Who Will Win: Hillary Swank, "Million Dollar Baby"

While I thought that Kate Winslet was excellent in the underrated " Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", Swank's plucky boxer, Maggie Fitzgerald, was second to none.

------------------------------------------

Best Actor
Who I'm rooting for: Don Cheadle, "Hotel Rwanda"
Who Should Win: Don Cheadle, "Hotel Rwanda"
Who Will Win: Jamie Foxx, "Ray"

This is the tightest race of them all, IMO. Depp and DiCaprio are very good and sentimental Hollywood could honor Clint, but even though I think that Cheadle's performance was the best, all signs are pointing to a Foxx slam dunk.

------------------------------------------

Best Director
Who I'm rooting for: Martin Scorsese, "The Aviator"
Who Should Win: Clint Eastwood, "Million Dollar Baby"
Who Will Win: Martin Scorsese, "The Aviator"

Clint pulls off a gem with a subject that could have been severely mishandled with a lesser talent, but I believe that the Academy will finally give a LONG overdue award to Martin Scorsese.

------------------------------------------

Best Picture
Who I'm rooting for: "Sideways"
Who Should Win: "Million Dollar Baby"
Who Will Win: Million Dollar Baby

I enjoyed all five nominations this year. I was ready to pick "The Aviator" until I saw "Million Dollar Baby". This film, much like Clint's past work ( Play Misty For Me, Mystic River and Unforgiven) has a dark, unsettling aspect to it. They aren't easy films to watch but once you start you can't turn away.

No comments: